First wing cleared, and the future
Ever since we resumed after our short hiatus, Grimmtooth’s been doing all the raiding and I’ve been mostly taking a break – and we’ve been doing well. Last week they took the first three bosses of ICC with little to no problem, but stalled on our progression boss.
Grimm’s been watching how the team performs and couldn’t help but think that he, being low DPS to the rest of the group, might be part of the problem. Saurfang is, after all, a DPS race more than anything. So, we dropped him, dropped our holy priest, and he brought in his ICC-geared hunter and I took Grimm’s place. That gave us an additional 1000 DPS, which is kinda like having two mages with Mirror Image up ALL THE TIME.
And he went down – we even got the achievement for getting him down before we got two of those debuffs.
It was good to be back in the healing saddle again so as to not lose the touch. It’s even possible that I bring more to the table heal-wise than the other priest, but since there are no accurate meters for that, there’s no way to tell. Pure HPS he was ahead of me, but we all know how healing meters lie – even shiny new ones like Skada.
Last night, they introduced potential changes to priests in Cataclysm. I wish to share my thoughts on some, but not all.
- [The new] Heal is intended to be the priest’s go-to direct-healing spell unless they need something bigger (Greater Heal) or faster (Flash Heal). That was already the case, but they did a bad job of it, and due to perversions of game mechanics, some of us don’t even touch the ‘heal’ family of spells except in corner cases. For example, making lesser and greater heals consume equal resources is kinda dumb. Fix that or continue to see Disc priests do strange and daring things with the arsenal.
- Leap of Faith (level 85): Pull a party or raid member to your location. Dumbest. Idea. Ever. Let’s let alone whether or not it breaks aggro. Let’s not concern ourselves on whether its range is less or more than your healing ranges. The core concept is rescuing people from being stupid. If you’re a tank, I will die if I pull you. If you’re a DPS, JUST MOVE, KEH?, If you’re a healer, I might yoink you so I don’t have to do your job too, but otherwise this will never ever be on my action bar.
- All HoTs and DoTs will benefit from Haste and Crit innately. I mostly like, but I have a question about whether the effectiveness will be reduced for higher frequency. Otherwise this looks like a Free Lunch, and there ain’t no such thing.
- We want to bring back Shadow Word: Death as an “execute” — something you do when the target is at 25% health. Wanting isn’t doing. Make it happen, cap’n.
- While we want to keep the priest’s role as a well-rounded healer, we also want to make sure the class is a viable tank healer, which is something priests moved away from a little in Wrath of the Lich King. EXCUSE ME?
- Greater Heal will probably be the tank-healing spell of choice, though we’ve also discussed giving Discipline a second shield… – Something about a big shield for tanks, small shield for others. Listen … guys. I don’t shield people that don’t need it, and when they need it they really really need it. I won’t use a lesser shield any more than I’ll use Lesser Heal now, as things stand.
- Mana will be a bigger consideration for all healers. We aren’t trying to make healing more painful; we’re trying to make it more fun. Because being impotent and useless at the end of a boss fight is my idea of fun, too. Seriously, if one spec becomes better than another at mana regen or conservation, it will become the defacto standard. Period.
- We want to improve Discipline’s single-target healing capacity. One key is to make sure shielding isn’t always a more attractive option than healing. Wanting ain’t doing … again. And, guys? Shielding is a trademark of this spec. On the other hand it’ll make epeen meters easier to read.
Trying not to sound negative, here. As before, the proof is in the pudding. But mainly it looks like Discipline as we know it will be gone, and what we have learned in WotLK is mostly gone. Well, that is interesting, but I’d like to see improvement over reworking whenever possible. Reworking is kinda lazy.
Last night the sweetie’s account got suspended for spamming. She changed the password, but when she logged in, she was cleaned out, her toons deleted, and several new toons created on other servers. She may or may not bother to get Blizz to help her restore her account. I know the feeling – if the same happens to me, I might be tempted to call it quits, too. Meanwhile, I’ve ordered a couple of authenticators. We’re pretty sure there’s no keylogger involved.